Richfield Minnesota History
As Minnesota's self-proclaimed "oldest suburb" begins its centenary celebrations this month, Richfield acknowledges its past and salutes its future.
The house originally belonged to Riley Bartholomew, who first came to Minnesota in the early 1850s and served in the Minnesota Senate. The family moved to Meeker County, Minnesota, next, and at the end of the year they returned to Bloomington, where they had lived for a year. In 1851, the family's son, John Irvine Jr., and his wife Mary, came from Minnesota to Richfield after two weeks on the road, arriving in Bloomingon. Irvine spent two years at the University of Minnesota in St. Paul as an assistant professor of medicine.
The state legislature was the first to reduce Richfield's size and transfer the land from Lake Street to 46th and Minneapolis in 1867, annexing it to Minneapolis. The big city seized more of Richfield's land when residents complained about being part of the city to use services like the tram system. In 1941, part of East Richland went to Minneapolis - Saint Paul International Airport. The Wold Chamberlain Field municipal airport separated from the village in 1955.
The division of Richfield in 1886 created the village of St. Louis Park, and a division approved later on April 5, 1889, produced the village of Edina. The division of Richfield in 1886 formed the city of Minneapolis and the villages of East Richland, East Saint Paul and East Minneapolis. A later division, approved on May 4, 1887 by the Minnesota State Legislature, the Minneapolis City Council and the Minneapolis County Board of Supervisors, produced the city of Eau Claire, Minnesota, in the state of Minnesota. A division of wealth in 1886 led the county of Saint Louis, part of the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the neighborhood of South Richfields to the Village of St.
In 1886 St. Louis Park became a village in its own right, and in 1889 what was called West Richfield became Edina.
Today's boundaries are very different from those set by the Hennepin County Board of Commissions when they established their boundaries for the new state of Minnesota in 1884. They recognized it as a county with a population of about 1,000 people and an area of about 2,500 square miles. The present limit is very different from the limits set by the Hennepsin District Committee when it was set.
Bloomington, the southern community of the county, is bordered by Richfield to the north and Eden Prairie to the west, while the Minnesota River forms a graceful boundary to the south and east. The cities of Shakopee and Scott County are on the other side of the country.
When Richfield was founded in 1858, its boundary stretched from Lake Street in Minneapolis in the north to Lake Street in Minneapolis in the north. Originally it stretched from what is now Highway 169 to Fort Snelling and from the north of the Minnesota River to south of Minneapolis. In the early days it included what is now Edina in the west and stretched far north to Lake Street, but this was bounded by the Minneapolis-St. Paul border and the city of Bloomington to the east and east-west.
The population of the surrounding communities grew over the years and Richfield flourished, and there were also schools, churches, hospitals and other public facilities. The population in neighbouring communities has increased in recent years, but Richfields has thrived and thrived. In recent years, the population of the surrounding communities has increased and developed.
In 1883, Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet were annexed to Minneapolis by the Minnesota Legislature, and it seemed clear that the growing city would not stay there. By 1884, Minneapolis had quadrupled in population to 192,833, surpassing St. Paul by more than fifty thousand people.
A suitable place to build was found on the south side of the river, and one place is now called Bloomington Ferry, where there is still a small log cabin. In the spring of 1843, G.H. Pond, then an Indian farmer, built his first house in Bloomingtons. The house was built in 1849 by Martin McLeod and is a listed building in the community founded by his family name and ancestors.
In 1941, the membership voted to add the name Minneapolis to the name Post and thus became Minneapolis - Richfield Post 435. This was because most of the members lived in the Richfield area, which was annexed by Minneapolis in 1927. The Minnesota community experienced strong growth in the 1950s and 1960s, which led to the establishment of a Chamber of Commerce in Richfields in 1955.
The Minnesota Historical Society has over 24,000 members and now welcomes more than a million visitors annually. If this month is called Giving month, you can be a generous donor and help the Richfield Historical Society reach more people and make a difference in the lives of the people of Minnesota and their families and friends.